Upcoming Industry Conferences
Streaming Forum CONNECT [19 August 2020]
Content Delivery Summit [5 October 2020]
Streaming Media West CONNECT [6-7 October 2020]
Past Conferences
Streaming Media East CONNECT [2-3 June 2020]
Content Delivery Summit [1 June 2020]
Streaming Media West [19-20 Nov 2019]
Esport & Sports Streaming Summit [19-20 Nov 2019]
OTT Leadership Summit [19-20 Nov 2019]
Video Engineering Summit [19-20 Nov 2019]
Live Streaming Summit [19 Nov 2019]

Ericsson Media Solutions Rebranded as MediaKind Starting Today
The video delivery solutions unit found a new majority owner in January, and today it takes on a new name and identity.

Ericsson Media Solutions is now known as MediaKind, adding one more development for the cable, satellite, and telecom video delivery solutions unit that was separated from the main company last year and continued as an independent company. The new name is effective today, and the company will continue to be led by Angel Ruiz, CEO. MediaKind boasts of having 900 cable, satellite, and telecom service providers as customers, including 9 of the top 10 cable companies and 8 of the top ten broadcast and media companies. 

MediaKind provides end-to-end video delivery technologies, including video compression tools for contribution and direct-to-consumer services, advertising and content personalization services, cloud DVR services, and delivery to TV and other video platforms. 

Private equity firm One Equity Partners announced on January 31 that it will become the majority owner of Ericsson Media Solutions, and that change will continue under the new name. When complete, One Equity will own 51 percent of MediaKind and Ericsson the remaining 49 percent.

Along with Ericsson Media Solutions, the company's Broadcast and Media Solutions business was also separated from the company last year as part of a long-term strategy. That business was renamed Red Bee Media in November 2017, taking the name of the media services company Ericsson acquired in 2013.

MediaKind promises to share "deeper insights" on its solutions at IBC in September.

Related Articles
Firm's media unit continues to innovate while looking for a buyer; MediaFirst Content Processing promises low latency via distributed cloud infrastructure
What's old is new again as Ericsson reclaims the Red Bee name in order to position its broadcast services as independent and agile.
By 2020, half of all TV and video viewing will be done on a mobile screen. Look for mobile video traffic to grow by 50 percent each year.
While standard definition video streaming is now the norm, improved networks and new video experiences will change that.